Unless you’ve been on a social media cleanse, then you’ve probably noticed how prairie fashion is one of the biggest trends this season. From puff sleeves to ruched details, fashionistas everywhere just can’t get enough of the romance and femininity that this style exudes. One distinct element of this style is smocking, when fabric is gathered into tight pleats held by elastic threads.
First seen in 18th century England as the clothes worn by rural workers, smocking is back and bigger than ever. It prevailed on the Spring/Summer 2020 runways like Carolina Herrera and Zimmerman, and spilled out into the city in the form of bold street style looks—think electric colors and voluminous puff sleeves. Surely, our local fashion flock isn’t behind, and there’s plenty of inspiration to take cues from. Ahead, we’ve rounded up all the celebs and their pretty smocked outfits for your next OOTD peg!
1. Love a rustic aesthetic? Draw inspo from Tricia Gosingtian went for a muted green smocked dress, paired with nude square-toed heels that are oh-so trendy right now.
2. Ever the adventurous style maven, Camille Co elevates her picnic-ready, red gingham dress with a dainty necklace dotted with golden pearls to seal the look. An outfit that can transition from day to night!
3. While still pregnant, Kryz Uy copped a refined pambahay look via a pristine white smocked dress with a chaste hemline cut right below her knee. We love how she kept it minimal with two barrettes that clipped her hair.
4. Smocked dresses aren’t the only thing you can wear to nail the trend. If you’d rather mix and match, make like Lovi Poe who donned a blush, off-shoulder top with a ruffled skirt for flirty flair.
5. It seems like smocked dresses are the elevated version of a daster these days! Elisse Joson spent a relaxing day indoors in her nude smocked dress that looks amazing against her sunkissed complexion.
6. If you’ve got an off-shoulder smocked dress, flaunt that decolletage by not wearing necklaces a la Kylie Verzosa! She opted for simple gold hoop earrings instead, but it made a huge difference to her outfit.
7. Smocked dresses were popular in the '90s, so why not take some cues from that decade like Rhea Bue? Her gold accessories and headscarf elevated the plain periwinkle dress from nay to yay.
8. If your complexion is on the warm side, try clothes in baked, earthy tones and match it with accessories like Kally Araneta’s rust-colored bandana. We love how she added dainty pearl earrings for an elegant touch!
9. If your dress or top comes in a bright color or a cute pastel hue, let that be the statement of your look by opting for minimal jewelry, like Kelly Misa’s golden seashell necklace.
10. Are you an eternal summer girl like Janine Gutierrez? Stick to a sunny tropical palette like fresh white and sunflower yellow, and throw on your beach-inspired jewelry! Complete with dewy makeup and voila, you’ve got a casual look that’s perfect for our city weather.