In case you missed it, Kim Da Mi is back with a new K-drama! Available on Netflix, Our Beloved Summer follows two high school sweethearts five years after their bitter break up. The two cross paths again, as they reunite for a follow-up to the now-viral documentary series that they've previously done together. After parting ways, they've found their own footing as adults and have been doing well since—or so they thought. Choi Woong (Choi Woo Shik) is now a successful artist while Kook Yeon-su (Kim Da Mi) is making a name for herself in the PR industry.
As someone who deals with clients all the time, Yeon-su has to be dressed well yet still be comfortable as she works long hours and runs around the city. To strike this balance in her everyday office looks, Yeon-su opts to wear a tried and tested closet staple: a button-down shirt. As basic as it seems, this evergreen piece actually has a huge potential and will always look stylish. Ahead, we curated 12 of Kook Yeon-su's best button-down shirt OOTDs and exactly how you can pull off her chic, effortless aesthetic.
LOOK: Button-Down Shirt Outift Ideas, As Seen on Kim Da Mi in "Our Beloved Summer"
1. A white button-down shirt is a must in every discerning girl's closet. But don't wear it with just plain ol' trousers. Pair it with pinstriped pants and white sneakers for a more laidback take on an office uniform. Don't forget a tiny white bag to hold all your essentials!
2. Button-down shirts can easily go from day to night. Try a cotton version with big pockets for a more casual look. Don this piece with black wide-leg trousers and a structured baguette bag to make this OOTD office-friendly.
3. Go up one size bigger for the ultimate stylish, slouchy look. Cuff the sleeves and slip on a pair of dark trousers with pleated details to make the oversized top look more intentional than ill-fitting. Accessorize with a cavernous bucket bag in contrasting hue if you're out and about!
4. Yes, you can layer your button-down shirt! Do as Da Mi does and wear your button-down top as an overshirt. Keep the last few buttons unbuttoned for a relaxed look and reach for a structured, textured tote to complete your OOTD.
5. Don't know what to wear with a light yellow button down? Go for a monochrome color palette for a chic and breezy office attire.
6. Yup, your button-down shirt can also be worn on casual Fridays. Instead your usual work trousers, pair it with straight-cut jeans. Swap your top handle bags with a roomy tote bag, too.
7. Here's another option for you: Team your button-down shirt with flared jeans and heeled loafers for a retro-inspired look that's still office appropriate.
8. Say it with us: Button-down shirts look cute with midi skirts! If you're unsure with your color scheme, keep everything in a neutral palette and you're good to go!
9. Contrast collars can still look stylish! Just be sure to match the two-tone button-down top with the rest of your ensemble for a cohesive look. In Da Mi's case, her shirt is a tonal match with her navy blue trousers as the collar matches her white kicks.
10. When wearing an all-neutral oversized silhouette with your button-down shirt and pants, be sure to define your waist with a darker shade of belt, lest you wish to look like a beige blob! Keep your accessories tiny, too, to balance off the big shapes.
11. Don't be afraid to mix neutrals! Here's Da Mi showing off one of the many color combos your can wear with a classic white button down: deep blue + tan.
12. You can wear your button-down shirt untucked, too! If you don't have a shirt that has its own fabric belt, simply wear a similarly hued one over your top to cinch your waist.
You can also opt out of defining your waist all together. Just wear the shirt untucked and just scrunch up the sleeves. It's the perfect weekend look, don't you think?
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!