Julia Barretto made waves online for a recently published post on Instagram, which featured her home OOTD consisting of a light T-shirt, sweatpants, and a gold chain necklace. “OOTD and everyday,” she said in the caption, referring to her go-to look. In the photo, it was also evident that Julia wasn’t wearing a bra, a detail that drew mixed reactions from netizens.
If you’ve been closely following Julia’s Instagram, then you know very well that going braless isn’t anything new for the 23-year-old celebrity. She often goes this route when wearing tank tops, camisoles, and slip dresses, and we totally understand where she’s coming from. There are simply some tops with shapes that would easily be obstructed when a bra is worn underneath. Aside from that, there’s the obvious reason that going braless feels more comfortable and freeing. Admit it!
But apart from these practical factors, the braless OOTD has been around for quite some time as a validated trend. CR Fashion Book traces it back to U.S. feminist protests in the ‘60s, which evolved into an emerging fashion trend in the ‘70s (think Bianca Jagger). It then conquered the red carpet, street style, and parties up until the ‘90s. (Remember Kate Moss’ “naked dress” in 1993?) Television also had us seeing no-bra outfits, such as Sarah Jessica Parker’s looks in Sex and The City. And today, going braless is more prominent than ever before, as evidenced by top models and their off-duty outfits.
In other words, we’re here to say that going braless is totally normal—and it’s a personal choice that no one should take away from you. Here, we track five of Julia Barretto’s braless outfits that might convince you to do the same:
1. Julia’s cozy home outfit is simple yet stylish. We love how she paired sweats with a gold necklace for a luxe touch.
2. The straight neckline on this white slip dress is a refreshing detail that also makes it more home-appropriate. Plus, it’ll make going braless more comfortable, too.
3. Welcome good vibes with a fun, printed camisole. It’s also a chic way to stay cool amid the scorching summer heat upon us!
4. Yup, slip dresses are Julia’s signature home look. Here, she wears a classic v-neck silk one in a champagne hue.
5. Want to make self-care nights feel extra special? Switch out your typical pajamas for an elegant black slip. It will have you feeling like an old Hollywood movie star—just complete the look with a silk robe.