While fruits and vegetables are necessary for a healthy and balanced diet, that doesn’t mean we should eat our farm fresh greens with reckless gusto either. Take it from blogger Kryz Uy, who had to learn things the hard way after recently posting about her smoothie poisoning on Instagram.
A self-confessed kitchen newbie, Kryz writes, “Yesterday, I was feeling all sorts of terrible. I drank half of a smoothie I made before dinner and then woke up every hour in the middle of the night because my stomach was so painful. In the morning, I finished the rest of my smoothie only to puke it all out hour after hour. Turns out I poisoned myself with my own smoothie! I’m feeling so much better now (special thanks to hubs, my mom and my sisters for the emotional and digestive support) but thought I should warn you guys about this too. Raw veggies are apparently filled with dangerous pesticides! I’m a newbie in the kitchen so I gather I mustn’t have washed mine very well. Taking this as a lesson, and hopefully you will too! Save yourself and mind what you eat!”
While most fruits and vegetables are sprayed with pesticide in order to grow, it shouldn’t deter you from ingesting these all-too important produce either. As Kryz mentioned in her post, it all essentially boils down to how well you clean off the pesticide residue before eating.
According to dietician Erin MacGregor, safe consumption of produce starts with a thorough wash under cool tap water, but never with soap, detergent, or any other commercial produce wash as there’s still no proof of how effective they are when compared to using only water.
Several studies say that washing your fruits and veggies under running water is more effective than simply soaking them. Once you’re finished washing, for thick-skinned produce, it’s important to scrub off or peel their outer layers. According to the National Pesticide Information Center, when it comes to soft produce like grapes, it’s best to rub them while holding them under running water. On the other hand, as for our greens, it’s highly recommended to “discard the outer leaves of leafy produce.” After you’ve meticulously cleaned your produce, dry them with a clean cloth or paper towel.