If you ask anyone what the hottest show is on local TV right now, they’ll most likely tell you it’s The Broken Marriage Vow. The teleserye is the local adaptation of the hit K-drama The World of the Married Couple (based on the UK series Doctor Foster), and it’s safe to say that Pinoys can’t get enough of the jaw-dropping plot twists and cliffhangers in every episode. So much in fact that the views on the YouTube reuploads gain more than 100,000 views in 24 hours. People are definitely glued to their screens!
Other than the thrilling plot, the fashion in the series is equally as anticipated by its viewers. Director Connie Macatuno made sure to highlight the craftsmanship and world-class designs of our local designers, and this thrust is definitely obvious in Jodi Sta. Maria's wardrobe as Dr. Jill Ilustre. Each episode is a feast for the eyes as well, as Jodi slips from one Instagram-worthy sophisticated OOTD to another. That said, certain pieces have stood out throughout the show, specifically her statement accessories by Ken Samudio.
"Direk Connie specifically told [Filipino designers] to send bags that represent the DNA of our brands. Of course, I sent over the iconic coral clutches which has become the signature of Ken Samudio, my eponymous label," the designer tells Preview.
True enough, Dr. Jill’s sprawling beaded necklaces and intricate beaded bags are hard to miss if you watch the show on the regular. They make Jodi’s looks instantly more fashion-forward, no matter how casual her top or dress is.
His unique beadwork earned Ken a nod as one of Vogue Italia’s Talents back in 2014, that eventually catapulted his designer career to where it is today. He’s also been recognized at the YOOX & Net-a-Porter YES Awards in 2015 and has been part of the BritishCouncil’s Fashion Revolutionaries—recognitions that prove that Ken’s ingenuity isn’t for local eyes only.
But the designer admits that getting appreciation from teleserye lovers, casual viewers, and the broad non-fashion crowd is also as fulfilling. "It’s one thing to be recognized globally but it gives a Filipino designer a certain 'high' when our creations are appreciated locally, especially by the masses," he admits. "These people are the most brutally honest to critique a designer’s work so knowing they appreciate our pieces is a validation on a whole new level."
Overall, the show’s viewership and ratings are undoubtedly a great way to draw attention to local fashion in a way that’s never been done before. Like Ken, his fellow designers could not be more enthusiastic about the results. He concludes, "The awareness created by the show opens new opportunities for designers and the communities we work with."
Want to see more of Ken's work in the show? Scroll ahead as we break down their most scene-stealing moments. (Warning: Spoilers ahead!)
All the Statement Accessories by Ken Samudio Worn by Jodi Sta. Maria on The Broken Marriage Vow
1. These beautiful shell earrings from Ken's diffusion brand Matthew and Melka completed Jill's outfit in episode three when she started suspecting David's affair.
2. Who can forget this berry-toned necklace Jill wore when she found out Lexi is pregnant with David's child?
3. Jodi actually wore a similar but chunkier version of the necklace above in white on the previous episode! Its volume definitely added some drama, but the berry was undeniably more eye-catching against her white coat.
4. Jodi sported the same necklace at another pivotal moment in episode 16, where she found out about her husband's misuse of funds and plans to file an annulment.
5. Jill donned a Ken Samudio bag for her scandalous night with Charlie in episode 17. ICYMI, the clutch had a full moment in this episode while Dr. Jill got ready!
6. For her work outfit in episode 11, Dr. Jill had three accessories by Ken: a pair of shell drop earrings, a solihiya cuff, and a woven bag.
7. Lastly, it's not only Dr. Jill who has a penchant for Ken's bags in the show. Her neighbor Carol (Bianca Manalo) also sported a Ken Samudio bag in episode two! Her pick was a smaller woven handbag with the designer's siganture floral applique.
See more of Ken Samudio's work on the designer's official website.
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!
Hey, Preview readers! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, and Twitter to stay up to speed on all things trendy and creative. We’ll curate the most stylish feed for you!