Disneyland isn’t just known for its fun rides and magical attractions. The happiest place on earth is also famous for its food! The amusement park has a plethora of food choices, what with its innumerable kiosks and restaurants, but some top-of-mind items include their Dole Whip, churro bites, corndogs, and ice cream bars!
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Disneyland parks across the world have temporarily shut down, but they’re making sure that people everywhere still get to experience the magic even at home. Through its Disney Parks Blog, Disneyland has been releasing recipes of iconic treats for fans to recreate themselves. The latest revealed secret? Its popular beignets!
If you haven’t tasted beignets yet, these are fluffy, deep-fried pockets of dough, topped with confectioner’s sugar. Disneyland’s beignets have gained popularity for its light and airy texture, as well as the many variants you can choose from, like chocolate-strawberry powder!
Although this Mickey-shaped treat can only be found in Disneyland Resort (Anaheim) and in Walt Disney World (Orlando), the official recipe below allows you to sink your teeth into its heavenly goodness right at home:
“Mickey Mouse Beignets” Recipe
Makes 10 large beignets or two dozen small beignets.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- vegetable oil for frying
- powdered sugar
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Set aside for five minutes.
2. Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
3. Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets with a Mickey Mouse-shaped cutter or cut into 2 1/2 to 3-inch squares. Cover with a towel and let dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Using caution, heat vegetable oil to 350°F in a deep, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Fry beignets until golden brown, about two to three minutes, turning as soon as they brown on one side. Remove with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
5. Dust warm beignets with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
This fun snack makes for a good bonding moment with your family. Eat the beignets while they’re hot and pair with your favorite Disney movie!
Check out the full recipe here for more details.