“Culinary Class Wars” Judge Paik Jong-Won Faces Backlash Amid Season 2
Despite this, the show’s producers remain focused on the cooking.
Culinary Class Wars returned for its second season last December 16, bringing back the same judges who helped turn the Korean cooking competition into a global hit. But while Season 2 builds on the intensity and craft that defined its debut, its premiere arrives under renewed scrutiny—particularly surrounding judge Paik Jong-won, whose off-screen controversies continue to follow him into the show’s latest chapter.
Season 2 comes back with its original judging panel featuring Paik alongside chef Ahn Sung-jae, preserving the dynamic that anchored Season 1. Paik, a celebrity chef and the founder of restaurant conglomerate TheBorn Korea, has long been a dominant presence in South Korea’s food and television industries. Known for his blunt critiques and business-minded approach, he helped introduce Culinary Class Wars to a wider international audience when the series first launched on Netflix.

"Culinary Class Wars" Judge Paik Jong-Won Faces Controversy
Earlier this year, Paik came under fire following allegations tied to business practices within TheBorn Korea. As previously reported by Preview last May, the chef announced that he would step back from television appearances following mounting allegations tied to his company. These included issues related to misreported ingredient information, food safety violations, subpar product quality, and complaints involving inflated promotional fees connected to regional food festivals. Additional accusations—including claims of workplace harassment and abuse of power—further intensified public scrutiny.
In a video statement addressed to the public at the time, Paik said he would halt new television projects to focus on rebuilding his company. “From now on, I will dedicate all my passion and energy solely to the growth of TheBorn Korea—not as a TV personality but as an entrepreneur,” he said, adding that he bore “sole responsibility for the entirety of the problems.”
Despite this, Culinary Class Wars—which had already completed production—continued on its release path. Paik later clarified that he would only fulfill television commitments already in progress.

However, despite keeping a lower profile during promotional activities, Paik’s continued presence on Culinary Class Wars has divided viewers. Some have questioned whether a figure facing such scrutiny should remain in a high-profile judging role, while others argue that the competition should be evaluated independently of Paik’s business controversies, given that the show centers on the chefs and their craft.
Addressing the situation, the show’s producers have emphasized that Season 2 was developed with careful consideration following the first season’s strong reception. “We put a lot of thought into how to prepare for Season 2, especially given the immense love the first season received,” producer Kim Hak-min said during a press conference in Seoul.
Producers stressed that the focus of the new season remains on the intensity of the competition and the cooking itself, despite the ongoing scrutiny surrounding one of its judges.
Read more stories about
culinary class wars ,netflix ,reality show ,TV Shows ,Paik Jong-won ,k-culture ,korean celebrity