Last week, the Food and Drug Administration announced a public health alert on Korean cosmetics that have been banned in South Korea for containing a dangerous amount of antimony, a heavy metal which poses a health hazard, as exposure can result to lung, heart muscle, and liver damage. "Symptoms of antimony toxicity includes skin irritation, headache, nausea, vomiting, insomnia, and abdominal pain among others," the organization says.
The FDA has banned a total of 13 products, urging consumers to refrain from purchasing them directly from South Korea or from online resellers. Half of the products are banned according to their batch numbers and expiration dates, while one of the listed products, Etude House's AC Clean Up Mild Concealer, is still being sold locally. The FDA has verified with the brand's Philippine distributor Rosa Fiore House Corp. that the batch currently in official stores is from a different batch and therefore unaffected by the ban and recall order.
See the full list of banned products below:
1-2. Aritaum Full Cover Stick Concealer in #1 Light Beige and #2 Natural Beige
Batch Numbers & Expiration Dates: (#1 Light Beige) AAH - Jan. 12, 2021; BAH - Jan. 30, 2021; CBH - Feb. 11, 2021; (#2 Natural Beige): ELG - Feb. 17, 2020
3. Aritaum Full Cover Cream Concealer in #1 Light Beige and Natural Beige
Batch Numbers & Expiration Dates: GLG - Dec. 14, 2020; AAH - Jan. 30, 2021
4. Aritaum Full Cover Cream Concealer in #2 Olive Green and Pink
Batch Number & Expiration Date: AAH - Jan. 14, 2021
5. Etude House AC Clean Up Mild Concealer
IMAGE Etude House
Batch Number & Expiration Date: AAH - Jan. 8, 2021
6. Etude House Drawing Eyebrow Duo in #3 Gray Brown
IMAGE Etude House
Batch Number & Expiration Date: GLG - Dec. 17, 2020
7. XTM Style Homme For Men Easy Stick Concealer
8. Black Monster Homme Black Erasing Pen
9. Skeda Homme Spot Concealer
10. Skinfood Cherry Full Lip Liner in Rose Cherry
11. 3CE Slim Eyebrow Pencil in Chestnut Brown
View the FDA's full advisory here.