Long gone are the days when cardigans were exclusively a granny staple. Prim and proper in decades past—and, most notably, available in then-trendy, matching top-and-sweater twin sets back in the preppier side of the '90s—these modest knits were dubbed official good-girl gear. Change all that up, though, 'cause 2019 is seeing cropped, shrunken, ultra-slim (read: not oversized!) versions worn with buttons deliberately undone and bras forgotten.
Here, some surprisingly sexy ways to style your enduringly simple knit:
1. The best trick is to wear absolutely nothing underneath. Only the middle pearl matters, declares Aimee Song.
2. Shrug one shoulder off nonchalantly like Dominique Cojuangco does.
3. We're mad for this pencil skirt and knee-high boots combo! It's Paris-perfect.
4. Coordinate in short, summery red-and-white Chanel, says Jennie Kim of K-pop girl group Blackpink.
5. Loop a length of gold chain 'round your blue jeans to accentuate that midriff you're proud of.
6. Even out the sultry tumble-in-bed effect of an "accidentally" open top with a sweet pistachio hue. Sammi Louis agrees.
7. Maria Bernad gets even riskier, securing only the first knob then paring the shock down with kitschy texture and cutoff denim bermudas.