Summer is the perfect time to get experimental with your OOTDs. Whether it be through a bold color palette or print, nothing can get too loud for this season! But for our fashion newbies or minimalists lovers, treading the realm of prints and patterns may be intimidating.
Our tip? Start with the classics, such as checks and plaid! These two patterns are the easiest to incorporate into your closet because they usually come in two to three colors, which makes pairing it with your favorite pieces a breeze. To give you some inspiration, we’ve rounded up 10 different check and plaid outfits from our favorite influencers! Use these as a guide for when you want to slowly include them in your wardrobe, or ready to go all out!
10 Checkered Outfits to Try This Summer
1. The classic black-and-white checkerboard print is perfect for going out and about the city because of its fun and youthful vibe. Take a cue from Rhea Bue by keeping the rest of your outfit neutral as well to add a touch of minimalist class.
2. Flowy dresses are one of the best ways to keep yourself cool this summer, and donning one in a check pattern is the perfect way to spice up this essential. For extra breeziness, pick one that’s sleeveless and has cut-out details just like Angel Dei’s. It’s a great cover-up for beach trips, too!
3. Nothing can amp up your energy quite like a bright red ‘fit. Laureen Uy sports a pair of red-orange check pants for that quirky pop of color. She paired it with neutral pieces (like her top, bag, and sunglasses) to add dimension and keep the color in the spotlight. We love how her bag also sports a subtle check pattern, too!
4. If you’re looking to achieve school girl-chic, plaid—a sister pattern of checks—is the perfect way to do that. Use the print in a dark color to exude that top student aura, and top off the look with some leather shoes and white socks. If you don’t want to go too academia, pair it with a simple but slightly sultry cropped tube top like Kyla Javier did here!
5. Not ready to go big with checks yet? Try using it as an accessory! Here, Chelsea Valencia paired her green check bag with a structured blazer to add an air of liveliness to the business tone of the outfit. The contrast makes this ‘fit suitable for a variety of occasions, whether it be a barkada hangout or a dinner reservation with your partner.
6. For a romantic date night look, opt for a color palette of pinks and reds to sweeten your vibe. Pamela Swing wears a plaid one-piece in pink and black and pairs it with soft textures such as the knit beanie and fuzzy button-down for an outfit that’s sweet and cozy. Bonus points for matching it with her checkered phone case!
7. The classic plaid button-down shirt and shorts combo just never fails for the summer! But if you want to take it up a few notches, replace the button-down with a cool blazer! It’s a surefire way to create a look that’s more mature without looking too formal. Pair it with sneakers and a classic bag like Vern Enciso to complete your casual chic look.
8. The great thing about checks and plaid is that they can be used for practically any style—and in this case, two at the same time! Here, Mimiyuuuh used plaid as a bridging piece to create a ‘fit that’s sweet (thanks to the flowy dress and puff sleeved top) and edgy (courtesy of the combat boots). You can do the same by pairing cool accessories with a cute check outfit and vice versa!
9. The sky’s the limit when it comes to checks, which is why it’s the perfect pattern to wear to make a statement! Rachel Gania rocks this blue and green checked top and matches it with a similarly blue pair of jeans for a bold and bright look. For that added contrast and texture, pair it with darker shades such as black leather platform shoes and metal jewelry.
10. Pattern on pattern, anyone? For a beach outfit that screams attention, pair your checkered button-down with a printed swimsuit! Notice how Laureen’s button-down top features different sized checks to spice up the normally symmetrical print. You can go with beaded necklaces like she did to keep the vitality, or switch them out for woven and threaded bracelets for the ultimate beach babe look.
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!