I love discovering new fragrances, but I find that it really helps when you have a signature scent or perfume. It's the kind that people associate with you every time they smell a particular perfume. The fragrance represents your style and personality, and it completes your vibe! If you're still on the lookout for your next signature scent, here's a guide you can turn to before you start shopping!
(Ed's note: There's no rule that you should have just one signature scent. you can have a fragrance wardrobe or a collection of perfumes you can wear for different occasions and moods.)
How can find a new scent that could be your signature perfume?
Ask yourself these questions before buying a perfume.
What everyday scents do you like?
First, find out what everyday scents do you gravitate to. Are you attracted to rich floral scents? Do you love fresh floral fragrances? Do you get uplifted when you smell freshly baked pastries? Or are you into the scents of the ocean? Your answers will determine what fragrance family (scent category) your choice falls under:
Fragrance families are divided into eight categories, but we'll discuss the popular ones.
- Floral - This the most popular fragrance family! As the name suggests, scents under this category get their fragrance from flowers like jasmines, lilies, roses, and peonies.
- Fresh - These scents have green, aquatic, or citrus notes. Fragrances with these notes smell refreshing and zesty. You'll see these words on the perfume's product description: bergamot, mandarin, and lemon. As for the aquatic fragrances, they usually are labeled as ocean-inspired. They're a popular choice during summer.
- Oriental - Scents from this family have spicy and sweet notes. Dominant notes are vanilla, cardamom, and cinnamon. These are often paired with floral scents to create a sensual fragrance.
- Woody - Perfumes with woody notes either have a smoky or leathery smell. This fragrance family is popular among men's fragrances.
Consider your lifestyle or the occasion
Now that you've decided which type of scent expresses your personality the most, it's time to decide which formula or strength you should get.
- Eau de parfum - It has the most perfume essence content so this lasts for a long time. Its scent peaks at four to five hours, which makes it a great choice if you'll need to smell good all day. You can wear this to important occasions such as weddings and formal gatherings.
- Eau de toilette - This is a great everyday scent. A spritz will last from two to three hours, so you'll need to re-apply.
- Cologne - This is the most diluted formula among the three, aka it is mostly made up of alcohol. The scent easily evaporates: It lasts from one to two hours only.
Some notes on buying perfumes or your next signature scent:
Don't smell the bottle because it can come off too strong than its actual scent. You can spray it on a piece of paper, wait for it to settle then catch a whiff. You may also spritz it on your wrists. Wait for a few minutes to see how your body chemistry would react to the fragrance's notes.
Now that you know the basics, here are some cult-favorite perfumes you may want to try:
Perfumes That Can Be Your Next Signature Scent
Miss Dior Eau de Toilette
An uplifting floral scent that settles into a sweet, rose fragrance. It's the ultimate choice for those who love feminine scents.
Miss Dior Eau de Toilette, SM BeautyADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom and Honey
This one is cult-favorite because of its light and fruity scent. Fans say the fragrance reminds them of a peach with a hint of honey.
Nectarine Blossom & Honey Cologne, P8150, JO MALONE
Aesop Rozu Eau de Parfum
A floral green perfume that will remind your refreshing showers and freshly laundered sheets. It's a great scent to wear every day.
Rozu Eau de Parfum, 50 mL spray, P8500, AESOPADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Ouai North Bondi Eau de Parfum
I'm absolutely in love with this perfume. It hits the sweet spot between a soft and strong fragrance because its floral powdery scent is unique. It helps me feel empowered every time I wear it.
North Bondi Eau de Parfum, $56, OUAIADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue Eau de Toilette
Of course, this list wouldn't be complete without this fresh, citrusy scent. It has lemon and green apple notes that make up the well-loved fragrance. It's the best scent for hot, summer days!
Light Blue Eau de Toilette 30ml, P3300, DOLCE & GABBANA
Chanel No.5 L'Eau
The clean yet powerful floral notes of this eau de toilette make it a popular choice for many. It's not overpowering yet it gives the wearer a vibe that they can take control of anything.
Chanel No.5 L'Eau, price unavailable, CHANEL
This story originally appeared on Cosmo.ph. Minor edits have been made by the Preview.ph editors.
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!