The preliminary evening gown competition is finally here! A crucial part of the Miss Universe pageant, a contestant’s evening gown isn’t only a show piece but should emulate the candidate’s personality, grace, and elegance. Thus the evening gown is an integral part of the scoring, and would lead judges to ask, “Why did she pick this dress?” or “What does this dress mean to her?”
That said, Rabiya Mateo didn’t just want to step out in a frock that would wow. “Yellow is the color of joy and celebration,” designer Furne One wrote in his Instagram post. The dress, which features a unique “s-shaped” neckline and one-shoulder strap that splits into two thin appendages at the back, is made up of citrine Swarovski crystals to create dimension despite the monochrome colorway.
According to Furne, the dress signifies the sun, which symbolizes “happiness, strength, and vitality.” To further showcase this, the cape drapes down into a humble train features intricate beadwork made up of citrine and alabaster Swarovskis. It mimics the sun’s rays much like those seen on the Philippine flag. “The cape added royalty to the gown, and its beadwork was inspired by the radiance of the Philippine sun whish symbolizes positivity and optimism. A hope for a new tomorrow, w world with endless beauty and happiness,” the designer wrote.
Rain Dagala, Rabiya’s stylist, describes the silhouette of the dress as a “Venus cut” to convey old Hollywood glamour. It was also purposeful to leave out any slits or overtly “hubadera” cut outs to keep the dress classy and sophisticated. The makeup was kept to nudes, while her hair was set into easy waves with an extreme side part for simplicity and elegance.
READ MORE STORIES ON MISS UNIVERSE 2020 HERE:
- • 10 Things You Need To Know About Rabiya Mateo
- • Here's How This Local Shoe Brand Became Miss Universe 2020's Official Footwear
- • Rabiya Mateo Reveals She'll be Wearing Pia Wurtzbach's Earrings to Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe Wardrobe Will Showcase More Than 100 Designers
- • All the Details of Rabiya Mateo's Stunning Philippine Flag-Inspired Gown
- • Rabiya Mateo Looks Stunning Without Makeup and Here's Proof
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Sexy Slip Dress Inspired by Philippine Gold
- • Here's a Glimpse of Rabiya Mateo's Signature Pageant Walk "Halabira"
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Gorgeous Sheer Dress Inspired by the Barong Tagalog
- • Rabiya Mateo Fell Into A Pool During A Miss Universe Photoshoot And Handled It Like A Total Pro
- • All the Most Jaw-Dropping National Costumes from Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Stylist Addresses the Controversies Behind Her Miss Universe National Costume
- • Did You Know? A 21-Year-Old Pinoy Student Designed Miss Universe Cameroon's National Costume
- • Filipino Jeweler Reveals the "Missing Piece" of Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe National Costume
- • 10 Best Evening Gowns from Miss Universe 2020 Prelims
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!