Though Rabiya Mateo failed to make it to the Top 10 at this year’s Miss Universe competition, we’re still very proud of her for representing the Philippines! We hoped to see her strut in the evening gown competition at the actual pageant so she could showcase her second Furne One frock, following her first dress that was a sophisticated yellow ensemble that represented the sun. Luckily, the designer showed us a glimpse of the beauty queen in what-could-have-been her crowning dress!
Rain Dagala, Rabiya’s stylist, tells Preview that the gown was inspired by Iloilo’s famous Dinagyang festival. “A halabira dress to match her halabira walk,” the stylist notes. The dress features a body-hugging serpentine silhouette in a citrus hue and adorned with orange and fuschia crystals and embellishments for a dimensional look.
According to the designer, Furne One, the dress is also a couture iteration of the sarimanok.
“The mythical bird of the Marano people that originated from MINDANAO, an Island south of the Philippines, symbolizes good fortune. The closed necked haltered gown is artistically hand embroidered with hyacinth Swarovski crystals, glass beads and paillettes. The feminine form and silhouette celebrate confidence. Laser cut fabrics were delicately attached to the tulle based gown formed like feathers to give it a softer look on the hem. Orange expresses freedom and success which describe the woman of today,” the designer wrote on Instagram.
Meanwhile, the striking color choice was to connote “joy, happiness, and creativity.” The “laser-cut fabrics sprawling to the hem, formed feather-like softness” to mimic Iloilo’s festival culture and its opulence.
We would have loved to see Rabiya walk the semi-finals in this gown, but nonetheless we are proud of the beauty queen’s grace and poise throughout the competition. The Philippines is grateful, Rabiya!
READ MORE STORIES ON MISS UNIVERSE 2020 HERE:
- • 10 Things You Need To Know About Rabiya Mateo
- • Here's How This Local Shoe Brand Became Miss Universe 2020's Official Footwear
- • Rabiya Mateo Reveals She'll be Wearing Pia Wurtzbach's Earrings to Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe Wardrobe Will Showcase More Than 100 Designers
- • All the Details of Rabiya Mateo's Stunning Philippine Flag-Inspired Gown
- • Rabiya Mateo Looks Stunning Without Makeup and Here's Proof
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Sexy Slip Dress Inspired by Philippine Gold
- • Here's a Glimpse of Rabiya Mateo's Signature Pageant Walk "Halabira"
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Gorgeous Sheer Dress Inspired by the Barong Tagalog
- • Rabiya Mateo Fell Into A Pool During A Miss Universe Photoshoot And Handled It Like A Total Pro
- • All the Most Jaw-Dropping National Costumes from Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Stylist Addresses the Controversies Behind Her Miss Universe National Costume
- • Did You Know? A 21-Year-Old Pinoy Student Designed Miss Universe Cameroon's National Costume
- • Filipino Jeweler Reveals the "Missing Piece" of Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe National Costume
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!