Last year had us wearing pearl accessories in the daintiest of ways, and they were definitely far from what your grandmother adorns herself with. Read: barrettes, simple chokers, and even cute headbands that had us embracing our feminine sartorial side. If you enjoyed the timeless pearl, then you'll love what 2020 has to offer. Runway shows have reiterated these glistening gems of the sea in bolder ways, making a case for romantic—yet edgy—accessories. Check out the best looks from the 2020 runways that will have you piling on the pearls everywhere.
1. Asymmetric earrings are au courant, as per Jason Wu Spring/Summer 2020.
2. Wear baroque pearls the modern way by pairing them with diamond studs as seen on Tory Burch S/S 2020.
3. Add a masculine touch by way of aviator sunglasses.
4. Update your favorite puff sleeve blouse with a multi-layered pearl headband.
5. The flashy piece is also a great way to elevate a casual outfit, like say, a button-down shirt and suede jacket.
6. Forget those tiny pearl hoops and go for the biggest ones you can find, like the ones from Carolina Herrera's Resort 2020 show.
7. Vintage-inspired ones are cool in chunky layers, according to Anna Sui.
8. Add a wild touch to a pearl tie necklace by securing it with an animal brooch like this look from Dolce & Gabbana's S/S 2020 show.
9. Don't be afraid to mix other materials, like the bamboo ring and braided fabric from Miu Miu's S/S 2020 show.
10. Chain necklaces with a single pearl—like this sleek one from Burberry—are versatile pieces you should totally own.
11. Who says you can't adorn your clothes with pearls? Loop them into button holes for a minimalist touch.
Yup, it's obvious that pearls these days are anything but boring, and we love how these designer brands have breathed new life into an accessory that is often seen as outdated. There's plenty of room for experimenting, so feel free to explore looks other than the ones we've listed!