Fickle are the hearts of color lovers everywhere (RIP, millennial pink and Gen-Z yellow), but know what'll withstand the technicolor tumult? Neutrals. Dependable to a fault, you could accuse them of being "boring" or "unimaginative"...if you don't consider them a veritable rainbow in their own right. From black to white to gray to beige and everything in between, here are 10 chic office OOTDs in understated shades you'll definitely work hard in.
1. Tired of the ol' black blazer and pencil skirt combo? Revamp with a mix of textures—Kim Jones has leather and suede thrown tastefully in there—and a peppering of trend-smart touches like a gold coin pendant and statement peeptoes. Oh, and the big, boxy line of an oversized suit jacket looks so chic layered over a slim midi.
2. We know we keep saying beige-on-beige is massive right now, so if you're trying to dip a toe in, start off with neat summer whites (crisp trousers preferrably softly-tailored, floor-grazing, and in a boot cut) over a chunky cream mule sandal. Liz Uy's Self Portrait jumpsuit and Gucci heels make the peg.
3. So you wear that trusty gray checked A-line frock of yours 500 times a week (in case you can't relate, here's your cue to finally cop the LGD of your dreams). If you're starting to bore yourself silly, a subtle dose of attitude via black leather ankle boots will do the trick...and give your usual pumps a deserved break.
4. No need to shun print, even if you're a classicist. Pair plush, retro-reminiscent corduroy with patterns that'll outlive, well, the universe: We propose a bit of ever-chic houndstooth and the infinitely relevant Louis Vuitton monogram in those signature browns.
5. Again, we ain't sticking to just plains here! Print clashing is encouraged, and, if it matters to you, much less loud when done in earth tones. This is your chance to don leopard, another mammoth 2019 trend we'll be wearing well into the next few seasons. Round off with simple white stilettos and a demure high neck your supervisors won't question.
6. Truth is, we can't remember the last time we considered donning a vest! It lends a pleasant old-world charm to any ensemble, especially when part of a coordinating three-piece set. Time to in-vest, says Yoyo Cao. Tip: Forgo the matching blazer for a relaxed, slightly undone feel.
7. Nothin' like a clever layering game with assorted beiges at stake. Toss a pleated skirt over wheat-hued trousers and top with a boat-necked oatmeal knit! Now, watch your co-workers ooh and aah over your styling #skills.
8. A no-fail black turtleneck is the perfect backdrop for experimenting with schoolgirlish accoutrements like prim velvet headbands and a mini satchel. Finish with a charcoal maxi reminiscent of your chaste convent-inspired uniform of yore. In hindsight, your campus nuns were pretty chic.
9. This fascinating OOTD from Camille Co draws the eye so many places. First, spy that killer double cinch combo at the waist and knees, then ponder over the surprisingly palatable pairing of tan and gray, and then ogle those multi-strap Chanel mary janes with unbridled admiration. Which reminds us: Belting over your jacket is another on-trend trick you've got to try.
10. Another point for the wild side! Animal-spotted slip skirts are a fun spin to the token boudoir staple; style for desk hours with a sand-colored button-down under a loose taupe pullover.