It's that season again to bust out your frothy summer dresses and twirl around under the sun a la Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music! But in all seriousness, with the sweltering weather also comes an array of light and airy frocks to choose from. We're talking floaty midi dresses, bright minis, long boho skirts, fresh button-ups, and more! If you're still unsure which style best fits your summer personality, why not try all of them?
Below, check out the five essential kinds of dresses you'll need to survive the summer in style!
Thin Straps and Smooth Slips
For ocean lovers looking to soak up the summer sun amongst the sand and the sea all season long, you'll want to pack up on a variety of cute spaghetti-strapped slip dresses. Light and airy, this type of dress can be worn over your bathing suit for a coy yet flirty time on the beach. An additional hot take: Try on a slip maxi dress in particular and let the summer breeze blow back your frock for that sweet Hallmark moment to post on your 'gram.
Check out a few options that might catch your fancy, below.
1. This pleated boho maxi dress is practically asking for you to take that well-deserved beach vacation. Stroll along the sandy waters with the dress’ buttons undone and let your bathing suit accentuate your frothy frock.
Oranjestad button down maxi dress, P1920, SEEK THE UNIQ, seektheuniq.com
2. Frolic out on the shore in this bright yellow slip dress with a romantic tie detail.
Tie-detail dress, P1990, H&M, Uptown Mall
3. How adorable is this sapin-sapin-inspired shift dress from Araw? With its adjustable straps, you can wear it to the park for a quick Sunday stroll, or let it down for the beach and layer it over your swimsuit.
Sapin dress, P5500, ARAW, araw-araw.com
Playing out in the summer sun won't be complete without a fun and vibrant printed frock to elevate your high summer-child spirits. Whether you love a good classic geometric pattern, or you're a feminine floral gal, or you're one for a balanced mix of both, one thing's for sure: A stand-out printed dress will keep you the talk of that garden gathering and the undisputed life of the party.
Scroll below for a few options that you can shop.
1. Made with soft chiffon fabric, you’ll want to take this geometric and polka dotted number out to your next brunch date. Keep up with its chic aesthetic and wear it with open-toed flats.
Marondera deep v maxi dress, P2490, SEEK THE UNIQ, seektheuniq.com
2. We’re loving the fluttered sleeves and tie detail on this blue and red striped number. Not to mention, its lightweight fabric rendered in a dark hue makes it viable for an effortless day-to-night transition. Just change up your kitten heels to sultry pumps, let down your hair, and you’re good to go!
Benguella double tie dress, P1890, SEEK THE UNIQ, seektheuniq.com
3. Go retro feminine to your next family get-together in this pastel pink collared check dress. For a good measure, cinch it with a thin belt and consider finishing with feathery slides.
Vichy check dress, P2295, MANGO, SM Megamall
4. Giving off fresh tropical vibes, this sequined blue and orange floral printed dress may just be the perfect companion to your next al fresco dining. Accentuate its side slit by pairing the dress with high ankle-strap sandals.
Printed sequined dress, P2495, ZARA, SM Megamall
With the almost unbearable sweltering heat that characterizes the season, a linen dress is an absolute must to survive and still look stylish at the same time. The best thing about linen pieces is that they keep your skin cool and comfortable as the relatively stiff fabric won't cling to your body. Plus, the highly breathable material will save you from sweating like crazy.
Scroll through for a few examples.
1. If you’re not one for vibrant floral patterns or fruity-printed frocks, then you’ll most likely prefer this simple white linen dress. We also think it’s perfect for an activity-free afternoon beach tan session to complement your afterglow.
Miren dress, P2295, UNDO, undoclothing.com
2. Need an unassuming lightweight and airy dress to wear to your Sunday market shopping? This cream rami linen dress from Undo might just be the answer. Accessorize with a straw handbag and a sunhat for added effect.
Aime dress, P2195, UNDO, undoclothing.com
3. No need to trade in your little black dresses for the season because Araw’s got a summer ready LBD up for the taking. Made from light rayon linen, its scoop neck and x-back design will drape your body nicely for a fresh fit.
Liso black dress, P4900, ARAW, araw-araw.com
You'll also need a classic white dress for those days where you just can't be bothered to put in too much effort. Known to reflect light and therefore keep you cool and comfortable in the heat, it's a definite closet must-have for the summer season.
Check out a few options to shop, below.
1. You can never have too many dresses with magical pockets! Snatch this little white dress, highlight its v-neck with a necklace, accessorize with a mini shoulder bag, slip on your favorite pair of sneakers, and you’re all set to for your weekend barkada meetup.
Rio dress, P2145, STUDIO 17, shop-studio17.com
2. You’ll love the subtle details of this embroidered white dress. Its tied back opening offers a sweet, dainty, and delicate feel, but really, the best part about this piece? It also has secret pockets!
Dress with embroidery, P2295, ZARA, SM Megamall
A Touch of Bohemian
These floaty frocks in their usual free-form silhouettes are perfect for combatting the summer heat. However, if you're not really one for loud tunics or tiered peasant skirts, just remember that a touch of hippie-chic is enough to keep you feeling fresh and unfettered, like the dresses below.
1. Show up to a garden party like a summer Grecian goddess in this flowing, backless halter dress with an eye-catching embroidered geometric top.
Talgua embroidered halter dress, P2280, SEEK THE UNIQ, seektheuniq.com
2. The adjustable straps of this midi shift dress make for an unexpected but pleasing pop of color. Another cool thing about this dress? You can wear it two ways since it’s totally reversible.
Attaya 2-tone dusty olive, P3400, WEAR ANIKA, wearanika.com
3. Going to an open ground music fest? Wear this floral buttoned dress open over a silk cami and denim shorts to complete your boho-chic ensemble.
Buttoned linen-blend dress, P3995, MANGO, SM Megamall