Another year, another Miss Universe pageant. Despite the ongoing health crisis, the show is a go, and this year’s extravaganza is being held in Florida, USA.
On Friday, 74 of the most beautiful women on the planet (or is it the universe?) gathered for the traditional national costume competition. Which got us wondering: pageant watchers are aware of the number of Miss Universe titles each country has won over the years. But which country has won the most titles for Best National Costume?
There’s not much data about this specific award in the Miss Universe pageant, so to find the answer, we scoured the official Wikipedia page of the countries that have competed on Miss Universe and counted how many times each country has bagged the title over the years. We also verified the count with external sources (including pageant website pageantopolis.com, which is now-defunct).
The first time the award for Best National Costume was handed out was in 1962, when England took home the title. (Bolivia was listed as having won it in 1959, but we couldn’t find another source to back up that claim, so we are not including that win here).
Based on this tally, there is a tie for most number of Best National Costume titles: Colombia, and Thailand, with six each.
There’s a three-way tie for second place, with Brazil, Panama, and South Korea each winning the award four times.
Eight countries have taken home the title for Best National Costume twice, while 13 countries have won it at least once.
READ MORE STORIES ON MISS UNIVERSE 2020 HERE:
- • 10 Things You Need To Know About Rabiya Mateo
- • Here's How This Local Shoe Brand Became Miss Universe 2020's Official Footwear
- • Rabiya Mateo Reveals She'll be Wearing Pia Wurtzbach's Earrings to Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe Wardrobe Will Showcase More Than 100 Designers
- • All the Details of Rabiya Mateo's Stunning Philippine Flag-Inspired Gown
- • Rabiya Mateo Looks Stunning Without Makeup and Here's Proof
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Sexy Slip Dress Inspired by Philippine Gold
- • Here's a Glimpse of Rabiya Mateo's Signature Pageant Walk "Halabira"
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Gorgeous Sheer Dress Inspired by the Barong Tagalog
- • Rabiya Mateo Fell Into A Pool During A Miss Universe Photoshoot And Handled It Like A Total Pro
- • All the Most Jaw-Dropping National Costumes from Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Stylist Addresses the Controversies Behind Her Miss Universe National Costume
- • Did You Know? A 21-Year-Old Pinoy Student Designed Miss Universe Cameroon's National Costume
- • Filipino Jeweler Reveals the "Missing Piece" of Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe National Costume
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!
*This story originally appeared on Esquiremag.ph. Minor edits have been made by the Preview.ph editors.