The 69th Miss Universe is now underway with all the stunning candidates representing their countries. Miss Universe Philippines Rabiya Mateo, is raising our flag high on the international stage, but she is not the only Filipino who gets to showcase their talents. This year, Pinoy designers are taking the spotlight with candidates from all over the world tapping them to create exquisite gowns! These local designers are surely at the forefront of the pageant showing the universe what our countrymen are capable of.
Here are all the Miss Universe candidates that chose to wear Pinoy-made evening gowns:
1. Miss Universe Philippines, Rabiya Mateo in Furne One
In the more recent years, Miss Universe Philippines representative chose to proudly wear Filipino designs in the international scene. More recognition has been placed on our country’s fashion industry proving that our designers can compete and even innovate at a global scale. Rabiya Mateo was sure to keep that up by wearing Furne One of Amato Couture for her evening gown! Inspired by sunrise, Furne created body-hugging gown adorned with citrine swarovski crystals. At the back, a glistening cape train creates drama and elegance with Rabiya’s every step. This gown is said to embody positivity and hope just like the Philippine sun.
Aside from being the Miss Universe Philippines 2020 swimsuit designer, Furne One also dressed former beauty queens Miss Universe 2016 Pia Wurtzbach and Miss Universe 2019 Catriona Gray, and international celebrities such as Ariana Grande, Mariah Carey, Beyoncé, and Jennifer Lopez.
2. Miss Universe Romania, Bianca Lorena Tirsin in Michael Cinco
Bianca Tirsin is the first Romanian to wear the renowned Filipino’s couture and promised to do it justice. In fact, Michael Cinco was the one who reached out to her directly to don his gown for the competition. Bianca looked gorgeous in this sheer thin strap gown that emphasized her great physique! Exuding confidence and radiance, the white translucent gown had feather-like patterns all over the garment. Over all, it's the fit and attention to detail that highlighted her beauty.
3. Miss Universe Czech Republic, Klára Vavrušková in Michael Cinco
Michael Cinco created another distinguished look for the Miss Universe preliminary evening gown competition! Klára Vavrušková of Czech Republic came out in an avant-garde light purple floor-length gown. Emphasis was on the ruffle off-shoulder top that looked like petals framing her collarbones. Klára also wore sheer gloves adorned with silver vine-like details that can also be seen on her dress.
4. Miss Universe Belize, Iris Salguero in Jian Lasala
Iris Salguero of Belize, chose Jian Lasala of Lasala Label for this prestigious night! Jian is well aware with designing for Miss Universe beauty queens, previously working with representatives from Kenya and Tanzania. He absolutely delivered with a design based on Belize’s blue waters! The royal blue dress is covered in Swarovski crystals that also features an asymmetrical hem. Shorter on one side and longer on the other, it is a spectacle held by two thin shoulder straps.
5. Miss Universe Cambodia, Sarita Reth in Rian Fernandez
Miss Universe Cambodia Sarita Reth commanded the stage in a teal trumpet gown decorated with sequins, rhinestones, and Swarovski crystals! Behind this masterpiece is Baguio based Filipino designer and Council of ASEAN Fashion Designers member Rian Fernandez, who also made other garments for Sarita prior to the evening gown competition. Rian studied fashion abroad at the LaSalle College of the Arts in Singapore. Known for his wedding couture, his creations have also appeared in Vogue Italia!
In previous Miss Universe pageants, he designed for Miss Thailand 2016 Chalita Suansane, Miss Universe Caambodia 2018 Rern Sinat, and Miss Cambodia 2019 Somnang Alyna, among others. This time, he created Sarita’s gown based on Cambodia’s traditional costume, the Sampot with the detail inspired from one of their legends, the Garuda. Overall the garment symbolizes the country’s soul, power, and royalty making sure to showcase Cambodian pride!
6. Miss Universe Cameroon in Ben Leguiab IV
Aside from tapping a Filipino 21-year-old designer to create her extravagant national costume, Miss Cameroon Angele Kossinda put her trust in one more Filipino designer, Benj Leguiab IV, for her evening gown. She lit up the stage with a shimmering silver number that had floor-length cape sleeves and an open back! Benj made sure that it sparkled while being a little flirtatious through the plunging neckline and elaborate torso cutouts. Angele magnificently brought this gown to life with her stunning smile and presence making her country proud as their first ever Miss Universe representative!
READ MORE STORIES ON MISS UNIVERSE 2020 HERE:
- • 10 Things You Need To Know About Rabiya Mateo
- • Here's How This Local Shoe Brand Became Miss Universe 2020's Official Footwear
- • Rabiya Mateo Reveals She'll be Wearing Pia Wurtzbach's Earrings to Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe Wardrobe Will Showcase More Than 100 Designers
- • All the Details of Rabiya Mateo's Stunning Philippine Flag-Inspired Gown
- • Rabiya Mateo Looks Stunning Without Makeup and Here's Proof
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Sexy Slip Dress Inspired by Philippine Gold
- • Here's a Glimpse of Rabiya Mateo's Signature Pageant Walk "Halabira"
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Gorgeous Sheer Dress Inspired by the Barong Tagalog
- • Rabiya Mateo Fell Into A Pool During A Miss Universe Photoshoot And Handled It Like A Total Pro
- • All the Most Jaw-Dropping National Costumes from Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Stylist Addresses the Controversies Behind Her Miss Universe National Costume
- • Did You Know? A 21-Year-Old Pinoy Student Designed Miss Universe Cameroon's National Costume
- • Filipino Jeweler Reveals the "Missing Piece" of Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe National Costume
- • 10 Best Evening Gowns from Miss Universe 2020 Prelims
- • The Real Meaning Behind Rabiya Mateo’s Yellow Evening Gown for Miss Universe
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!