Things are different for this year's Met Gala. In line with the event's suspension, Vogue decided to push through with the celebration through an “online party." A Moment with The Met is essentially a video series highlighting the Met Gala's history and iconic fashion moments, featuring performances by Florence + The Machine and Virgil Abloh.
Aside from the digital fodder, what makes "A Moment with The Met" unique is that everyone is invited! And naturally, it isn't the Met Gala if guests aren't dressed to the nines. With that in mind, Vogue invited netizens all over the world to recreate their favorite Met Gala moments in history. Suffice to say, everyone definitely flexed their fashion A-game and put their DIY skills to the test. Here, we’ve rounded up all the best looks from #MetGalaChallenge:
1. This costume queen recreated Lady Gaga’s iconic Met Gala 2019 look, complete with outfit changes!
2. Remember Rihanna’s Maison Margiela look from 2018? Well, this netizen totally nailed the look using only newspaper!
3. Beyonce’s sheer Givenchy gown was painstakingly recreated from scratch by this Los Angeles-based fashionista.
4. Celine Dion’s fashion icon status was sealed when she stunned everyone in a Ziegfeld Girl-inspired Oscar dela Renta bodysuit—but that doesn’t mean we can’t aspire to be just like her!
5. This fashionista DIY-ed her very own costume inspired by Lana del Rey’s Gucci look from last year’s Met Gala.
6. A number of netizens seemed to have been besotted with Janelle Monae’s Christian Siriano look inspired by Picasso.
7. Dressing up all campy is better with friends, and this group definitely agrees. Check out their super on-point Kendall and Kylie outfits!
8. This duo channeled their inner Amber Valletta (circa 2004) and Michael Urie (his gender-bending half-suit-half-dress from last year!).
9. Allison Reimold created her very own “decapitated head accessory” a la Jared Leto by painting the mannequin head herself!
10. This Colombia-based fashionista dressed in Gucci-esque garb as a nod to Alessandro Michele’s aesthetic.
11. Remember Ezra Miller’s optical illusion makeup from last year’s event? Well, this netizen nailed the beauty look and the fashion!
12. Gabrielle Mosher recreated Rihanna’s Met Gala 2017 look using construction paper, paper plates, and ribbon!
13. No costume is complete without a makeup look to match. Here, two fashionistas revived Lily Collins’ Priscilla Presley-inspired look from last year’s event!
14. To recreate Solange’s Met Gala 2018 look, this New Yorker used garbage bags, foam pipe insulation, packing material, and duct tape!
15. Here, two fashionistas pulled inspiration from more than a decade ago—Christy Turlington’s Audrey Hepburn look circa 1992, to be exact.
16. Barbie dreams can come true—even if you just recreate Kacey Musgraves plastic fantastic look from last year.
17. This girl pulled off Zendaya’s (literally) glowing Cinderella look, complete with LED lights!