"Ugly" sneakers have come and gone, making way for a new pair to enjoy the spotlight. This time around, the local celebrities are making a case for the "ugly sandals"—proving they're not just meant for tourists, dads, or the outdoors. Today, sporty sandals are the newold trend to buy into (remember Phoebe Philo's 2013 Celine runway with furry Birkenstocks?). Thanks to Prada, Off-White, Miu Miu, and other big-ticket designers, we're seeing a more athleisure-esque spin to this comfy footwear—fashioned with vulcanized soles, velcro straps, candy-colored accents, and shiny embellishements.
See how they're sporting the trend below:
1. Laureen Uy was spotted complementing her pastel look with a pair of two-strapped lavender sandals.
2. She also posed on the steps of the Turkish palace wearing a pair in black. Love the leg-baring action that served as a sexy contrast against her footwear's tomboyish appeal.
3. Meanwhile, Paulina Ortega's mint green linenwear paired well with her embellished sandals in olive.
4. Isabelle Daza-Semblat also hopped on the "ugly shoe" train courtesy of her bright yellow thick-strapped slip-ons, which she thoughtfully paired with her pink linen jumpsuit. So chic!
5. Martine Cajucom-Ho, on the other hand, kept things clean and minimal with a monochromatic look punctuated by her white Birkenstocks.