The Miss Universe competition is the pageant to watch. Everyone tries to come up with the best, if not perfect formula of a beauty queen. With that, it can’t be helped that candidates hold seemingly familiar characteristics from previous winners. However, there's this particular unmistakable likeness that is taking the internet by storm! Social media is bustling with reactions to Miss Thailand Amanda Obdam’s final evening gown. Apparently, it has a striking similarity to former Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray’s now-iconic gowns!
It was undeniable that Catriona Gray’s performance was one for the books—raising the bar high in the pageant scene. Understandably, ladies all over the globe were inspired by her memorable looks, intelligent answers, and commanding stage presence. Now, at the 69th Miss Universe competition, the internet noticed a number of women giving off Catriona vibes with their makeup, walk, and attitude! More concretely, Thailand's Amanda Obdam came out with an evening gown that seemed to meld Catriona’s Lava-inspired Mayon gown and her final walk Reflection gown!
Could you forget Catriona’s strikingly red winning gown by Mak Tumang? Yup, we can’t get it out of our heads either—and it seems like Amanda couldn’t, too! Miss Thailand looks like a goddess in different shades of blue with a silhouette, high slit, and deep neckline—details that are too similar to Catriona’s gown. While the former 2018 Miss Universe’s dress was inspired by the Philippine volcanoes, Miss Thailand’s look came from the beautiful waters in Phuket. Created by Oat-Couture, Amanda’s gown is called the Andaman!
Other tweets also compared Amanda’s dress to Catriona’s Reflection dress that had a comparable color and basis The gown designed by Mak Tumang was inspired by how the Philippine Eagle reflects as it flies over our turquoise seas.
Others were quick to notice that Amanda appears to have taken some notes on Catriona’s pose in the 2018 pageant.
A tweet even said that Miss Thailand has the Catriona formula down!
While on Preview's Instagram post, comments flooded pointing out the uncanny resemblance to Mak Tumang’s masterpieces.
On the other hand, others mentioned that Miss Thailand’s look may have taken references from Thailand’s 2nd Miss Universe, Bui Simon who won in 1988.
Additionally, it's not the first time that netizens thought Miss Thailand took inspiration from Catriona Gray's fiery red number. Back in 2019, they've also pointed out Miss Thailand Paweensuda Drouin's red, high-slit gown drew a similar look to Catriona's famous gown.
READ MORE STORIES ON MISS UNIVERSE 2020 HERE:
- • 10 Things You Need To Know About Rabiya Mateo
- • Here's How This Local Shoe Brand Became Miss Universe 2020's Official Footwear
- • Rabiya Mateo Reveals She'll be Wearing Pia Wurtzbach's Earrings to Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe Wardrobe Will Showcase More Than 100 Designers
- • All the Details of Rabiya Mateo's Stunning Philippine Flag-Inspired Gown
- • Rabiya Mateo Looks Stunning Without Makeup and Here's Proof
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Sexy Slip Dress Inspired by Philippine Gold
- • Here's a Glimpse of Rabiya Mateo's Signature Pageant Walk "Halabira"
- • Rabiya Mateo Wore a Gorgeous Sheer Dress Inspired by the Barong Tagalog
- • Rabiya Mateo Fell Into A Pool During A Miss Universe Photoshoot And Handled It Like A Total Pro
- • All the Most Jaw-Dropping National Costumes from Miss Universe 2020
- • Rabiya Mateo's Stylist Addresses the Controversies Behind Her Miss Universe National Costume
- • Did You Know? A 21-Year-Old Pinoy Student Designed Miss Universe Cameroon's National Costume
- • Filipino Jeweler Reveals the "Missing Piece" of Rabiya Mateo's Miss Universe National Costume
- • 10 Best Evening Gowns from Miss Universe 2020 Prelims
- • The Real Meaning Behind Rabiya Mateo’s Yellow Evening Gown for Miss Universe
- • All the Miss Universe 2020 Candidates Who Wore Filipino-Made Gowns to the Prelims
- • Did You Know? Rabiya Mateo Wears the Exact Heels Pia Wurtzbach Wore When She Won Miss Universe
- • 10 Most Memorable National Costumes Worn by Miss Universe Philippines So Far
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!