I was recently scrolling through TikTok (as one does), and I noticed that tie-dye clothing seems to be trendy again. It's been around forever, but it has recently made a comeback as one of this year's hottest fashion trends, due to four factors:1. It's easy to DIY. It only requires four steps!
2. You can choose the colors you like and what kind of pattern to create.
3. You're not just limited to shirts—you can create a tie-dye print on virtually any kind of plain clothing or plain fabric you have.
4. It falls under thrift flipping, which, ICYDK, is another one of our obsessions!
There is no limit on the designs you can create, so feel free to let your imagination run wild. Below, we list down the materials you need and step-by-step instructions to guide you:
How to Tie-Dye Your Clothes
What you need:
- - Plain shirt or tank top
- - Rubber bands
- - Fabric dye
- - Gloves
- - Plastic bag
Instructions:1. Crumple up your shirt and secure it with thick rubber bands. The tighter you make it, the cooler patterns you can create.
2. Apply some dye on the patterns. You can do any color combo you want!
3. When you're done, place your shirt in a plastic bag and leave it for a full day to let the dyes saturate the garment.
4. After 24 hours, take out the shirt from the plastic bag and unfurl it. Toss your creation inside the washing machine (with no other garments to avoid bleeding of color) before wearing it.
For a more in-depth tutorial, watch LaurDIY's video below:
*This story originally appeared on Cosmo.ph. Minor edits have been made by the Preview.ph editors.