We are firmly in the age of the waist. Low-rise jeans are virtually taboo, having been totally replaced by high-waisted, wide leg trousers. Crop tops of every color and shape are all the rage, and online thrift shops have been happily riding the wave of the rework trend, which involves cutting up oversized button-downs and blazers, and turning them into skirt suits and matching bandeau and polo sets, with some proponents being Figura Vintage, Shop Rework, and Shop Ancienne.
And, there's no ignoring the corset trend, either– what was once a restrictive, heavily opined-upon garment is now a coveted It piece, which local style girls like Rhea Bue and Ashley Garcia wear with sweatpants and miniskirts!
That said, it seems we've been neglecting a simple yet powerful waist-emphasizing accessory in our closet: the belt! Consider this article your reminder to take an inventory of all the belts you own, and to elect them back into your rotation. Believe us, they make a difference! Here's proof:
1. First off, a belt doesn't have to be black, nor does it have to be leather. Mari Jasmine's wearing an ivory cloth belt that resembles a ribbon, which makes her peanut brown linen suit look more dainty.
2. Relive the '90s with grungy animal prints and distressed denim. Krystal Brimner ties the look together with a double grommet belt. This outfit it so au courant.
3. Same belt, different 'fit. Bianca Gan's errands-proof ensemble features a fuchsia tank top and black cutoff shorts.
4. On some days, we might feel like dressing as loudly as Susie Bubble. On others, our inner minimalist Pinterest girl might take the reins. Kelsey Merritt exemplifies the latter, complete with Bottega Veneta Saddle Mules, cigarrette jeans, a nude top, and a leather black belt with gold hardware.
5. One continuous scroll through Tricia Gosingtian's feed will have you craving pretty dresses. Here, she wears a blue-gray streamlined dress with a matching belt to cinch the waist.
6. Into graphic tees, combat boots, and off-kilter sunnies? Tighten the look with a leather belt like Bea Marin.
7. As seen on Janeena Chan, a belt can create the illusion of a leaner torso, so long as you match its color to your top! Those contrast-stitched, fluted jeans are totally flattering, too.
8. Need a little something to add depth to an otherwise plain outfit? Lexi Mendiola is proof a camouflaged belt still makes a massive difference.
9. Jewelry belts? Yes, please! Here, Kyla Zuñiga is totally committing to the minimalist black-and-gold agenda. Casual really doesn't have to be synonymous with sloppy.
10. Yup, belt bags totally count! Since microbags are a thing now, (think the teeny-tiny Le Chiquito and the Fendi Nano Baguette), it would make sense to wear it on your waist instead. Here, Heart Evangelista wears a micro Chanel on a classic woven chain.
Preview is now on Quento! Click here to download the app for iOS and Android and enjoy more articles and videos from Preview and your favorite websites!