StyleBible Preview

3 Shopping Mistakes You’re Unconsciously Doing

And here’s how to avoid them.
3 Shopping Mistakes You’re Unconsciously Doing And here’s how to avoid them.

Fashion is an interesting realm, and what better way to take part in it than to do some retail therapy? Shopping, however, is a tricky game. Here are some of the most common mistakes you’re possibly doing (and what you can do about it).

“I’m just gonna look.”

Shopping as a past time is a very unhealthy habit. From “just looking,” you come out of the store with bags of clothes you never intended to buy in the first place. Shopping aimlessly will drain your bank balance, which might end up with you looking at zeroes on your next bank statement.


What you can do: Before hitting the mall, resolve what you’re looking for. This eliminates hours of walking around looking for things you don’t know you want yet. Alternatively, get your girlfriends out of the mall and spend time elsewhere. Explore a new restaurant or take a hike—the farther from the racks, the better!


“It’s on sale!”

Don’t fall victim to the red hot sales and deceiving markdowns. Just because everyone’s flocking to the sale rack doesn’t mean you should, too. And just because it’s on sale doesn't mean it’s a good deal. You may just end up with a heap of unnecessary stuff.

Recommended Videos


What you can do: It’s okay to check out sales, but make sure you’ll be able to pick out quality items and that you aren’t just buying because you think it’s cheaper. Also, the rule about always getting clothes in your size still applies. Don’t get a sale item in a smaller or bigger size and then justify the purchase by saying you’ll fit into it in the future or that you can always alter!

“This is super on trend now, I have to get it!”


Fashion girls know the struggle of keeping up with the fast pace of trends in the fashion world. But you shouldn’t buy impulsively and get the first thing you set your eyes on. When it comes to shopping and building your wardrobe, it’s better to be smart about it than to stay on top of what’s current.


What you can do: Set a budget and remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of that budget will go to clothes necessary to fill in the gaps of your wardrobe. Say a good pair of culottes or a new crisp white button-down. These are the clothes you will be using over time, multiple times. The other 20% goes to your whims and trendy purchases. Allow yourself to have room for random purchases, but never dedicate alone a whole budget for those!


Happy shopping, ladies!

Main image illustrated by Gab Gutierrez.

Related Stories from

Hey, Preview readers! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, and Twitter to stay up to speed on all things trendy and creative. We’ll curate the most stylish feed for you!