Miss USA R’Bonney Gabriel was proclaimed the winner of the 71st Miss Universe pageant held in New Orleans. She bested 83 other contestants, particularly those from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic who landed in the Top 3 with her. After their final round of Question & Answer, it boiled down to her and Miss Venezuela, with R'Bonney ultimately bagging home the title and being crowned by Miss Universe 2021, Harnaaz Sandhu of India.
Here are 10 things you need to know about the winner of Miss Universe 2022!
1. She is half Filipina! R’Bonney was born in Texas to an American mother and a Filipino father who was originally from Manila but later on immigrated to Washington.
2. Born on March 20, 1994, R’Bonney is 28 years old. She is the oldest Miss USA titleholder to date.
3. She is the youngest and the only girl in their family of four!
4. R’Bonney was crowned Miss Texas USA 2022, becoming the first Filipino and Asian American to win the title!
5. She graduated from the University of North Texas with a bachelor’s degree in fashion design.
6. R’Bonney started joining pageants in 2020 when she joined Miss Kemah USA. After joining Miss Texas USA in 2021 and 2022, she won Miss USA 2022 which allowed her to represent her country in this year’s Miss Universe.
7. She is the CEO of her own fashion brand R’Bonney Nola which produces small-batch pieces using eco-friendly materials.
8. She is also a sewing instructor at Magpies & Peacocks which not only diverts textiles from landfills but helps survivors of trauma such as human trafficking and domestic violence.
9. Aside from enjoying her free time outdoors by skateboarding, rollerblading, and spending time at the beach, R’Bonney can also do fire dancing!
10. According to the Miss Universe website, “R’Bonney’s mission is for women and young girls to see themselves in her, and feel inspired to conquer their goals by owning who they are.”
Congratulations, Miss USA R’Bonney Gabriel!