If you clicked on this, then at some point in your life, you must have wanted to be mermaid. Well, the day you've been waiting for has finally arrived: You can now officially train to be a mermaid with Mermaid Squad!
The specialized diving program is headed by Ket Malabanan, the first Filipina to get certified as an SSI Mermaid. She runs the Scuba Schools International mermaid classes for kids and adults.
She's a real-life professional mermaid, which is very much a real thing. "Mermaiding," according to Ket, is "freediving with mermaid tail." And no surprise here, but Ket loves her job as a mermaid instructor. "I've been doing some mermaiding for more than two years now and I recognized the need to have formal learning and training for it for safety purposes that's why I decided to pursue my instructor certification with SSI. But being a real-life mermaid feels magical. I feel like I'm one with the ocean when I'm underwater. No fuss, no drama, just the water washing all negativities away."
See Ket in action below:
As for how this project came to be, she shares how they wanted to bring the unique activity to the public. "The SSI recognized the boom in mermaid swimming recently so they created a program aiming to make mermaiding both fun and safe, since swimming with your feet bound by a tail is not easy to do."
Apart from making your dreams of being an aquatic critter come true, mermaiding also has health benefits. Ket explains, "It's a fun way to do core and legs workout! We use core strength when doing the mermaid swim so expect to get toned tummy and legs the more you do mermaid swimming."
Here are the different levels for the mermaid classes:
1. Try Mermaid- Introductory class for those who want to try swimming with a mermaid tail. (P2000/3-hour class)
2. SSI Mermaid- International certification for advance mermaid swimming in confined water. (P10,000 for certification)
3. SSI Ocean Mermaid- International certification for advance mermaid swimming in open water. (P6000)
4. Mermaid Model -International certification for mermaid swimming and underwater modeling. (price available upon request)
5. Mermaid Explorers - Mermaid program for kids 6-12 years old. (price available upon request)
The lessons that are taught in advance classes include mermaid swimming, breathhold techniques, freediving with a mermaid tail, rescuing a buddy mermaid, towing a tired buddy, and some fun skills like swimming through hoops, twirling, bubble hearts, and bubble kisses. You'll train with practice fins and can eventually go up to wearing the full mermaid gear.
All class schedules are posted on their Facebook page. You can also call or text 0998 8669 885 for inquiries and private lessons.