At 2:15pm today, celebrity stylist Liz Uy officially filed a legal complaint against blogger Michael Sy Lim, more popularly known as Fashion Pulis, at the Office of the City Prosecutor, Makati City Hall.
Style Bible reached out to Liz’s camp for clarifications regarding the lawsuit. According to her lawyer, Atty. Irene Besido-Garcia of Kapunan Garcia & Castillo Law Offices, the complaint, with damages amounting to 11 million pesos, includes six counts of online libel for Lim’s “false and malicious postings” and one count of grave slander for the verbal tirades against Liz during a dinner event in Manila Peninsula, Makati last 28th of October.
Atty. Garcia explains, “Mr. Lim of Fashion Pulis is being charged with six (6) counts of ONLINE LIBEL under Section 4(c)(4) of the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 in relation to Article 355 (LIBEL) of the Revised Penal Code and one (1) count of GRAVE SLANDER under Article 358 of the Revised Penal Code. Damages amounting to Php 11,000,000.00 are also being claimed from Mr. Lim."
The charges of ONLINE LIBEL are in relation to the following false and malicious postings of Mr. Lim that were meant to destroy the reputation of Ms. Uy and cause fans to hate her:
1. Statement posted on 27 October 2015 on Twitter account @FashionPulis saying “Insta Scoop: Liz Uy Makes Maine Mendoza Wear Same Jacket She Wore Weeks Ago in Preview Photoshoot”
2. Statement posted also on 27 October 2015 on Twitter account @FashionPulis saying “Dear @lizzzuy, stop letting @mainedcm wear hand me downs. She deserves THE BEST!”
Ed's note: This tweet has been deleted.
3. Statement posted on 29 October 2015 on the blogsite Fashion Pulis stating “Insta Scoop: Liz Uy Makes Maine Mendoza Wear Same Jacket She Wore Weeks Ago In Preview Photoshoot”
4. Statement posted on 24 October 2015 on Twitter account @FashionPulis saying “It bothers me that Maine’s stylist (liz uy?) made her wear a recycled gown on such a historical TV event”
5. Statement posted on 29 October 2015 on the blogsite Fashion Pulis stating “Stylist Makes Maine Mendoza Wear Recycled Gown on Historical TV Event”
6. Statement posted on 29 October 2015 on the blogsite Fashion Pulis stating “Insta Scoop: Francis Libiran Says Maine Mendoza’s Gown is from His Spring/Summer 2015 Collection but 2013 Picture of Kim Chiu Disputes Claim”
From the complaint, the charge of GRAVE SLANDER is said to be in relation to Mr. Lim's alleged false and malicious tirades against Ms. Uy on 28 October 2015 at a dinner event in the Peninsula Manila, Makati during which Mr. Lim untruthfully said to some guests that Ms. Uy made Maine wear a hand-me-down jacket that Ms. Uy had previously worn. He was heard saying, "Kung ikaw ‘yung stylist, ipapasuot mo ba ‘yung jacket that you wore two weeks ago? Why did she make Maine wear the jacket she already posted?"
Further, Liz’s lawyer stated their intent to serve justice for their client, noting that there are legal consequences involved where irresponsible journalism is concerned. “We plan on making Michael Sy Lim accountable criminally and civilly for his actions. It is time for him to learn about responsible journalism. When a writer, blogger or media practitioner reports about someone, it has to be truthful and fair. Otherwise, there will be legal repercussions.”
When asked if they think they have a strong case, she answered, “Absolutely.”
Photos by Charles Rodulfo
Hey, Preview readers! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, and Twitter to stay up to speed on all things trendy and creative. We’ll curate the most stylish feed for you!