Pancakes can become boring but you can top them off with various ingredients as it cooks: chocolate chips, chunks of fruits, chopped nuts, and even candy bits.
You can do this or you can combine two of your favorite breakfast items into one delicious plate: coffee pancakes! This recipe makes pancakes from scratch but if you have pancake mix, you can still make this recipe.
In fact, using pancake this recipe just got easier! If you want to use a premade pancake mix for your coffee pancakes, you just need to add about 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules per 250-gram pack of pancake mix. You can dissolve the coffee granules into the water or the fresh milk that you will add to make the batter. (Use the measurements indicated on your package.) Then, cook as normal in a nonstick pan over low heat.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons good-quality instant coffee granules
- 1 cup fresh milk, warmed
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted, more for frying
- 1 large egg
How to cook:
- Dissolve coffee granules in the fresh milk. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Make a well. Pour in cooled coffee and milk mixture, egg, and melted butter. Fold until just mixed. (Batter will be thick and a little lumpy.)
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Lightly grease with butter if desired. Drop 1/2 cup pancake batter into the center, using the back of the measuring cup to form a round shape.
- Cook until the sides are firm and bubbles have appeared on the surface of the pancake. Flip. Cook until the center has risen and is firm. Remove from the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve while hot with a pat of butter and pancake syrup as desired.
*This story originally appeared on Yummy.ph. Minor edits have been made by the Preview.ph editors.