It's official: Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters has been crowned Miss Universe 2017! Here, we round up 10 things you've got to know about this realm's brand-new queen. Congratulations!
1. Born and raised in South Africa, 22-year-old Demi-Leigh calls Sedgefield, Western Cape her hometown.
2. She very recently earned her degree in Business Management at North West University.
3. Her biggest motivation comes from her disabled half-sister Franje, who was born without a cerebellum and lives in Potchefstroom with her stepmother and father.
4. In her spare time, Demi-Leigh is passionate about Unbreakable, a program she helped develop to train women in self-defense in various situations. The advocacy actually stemmed from an experience she had a mere month after being crowned Miss South Africa 2017: she was hijacked and held at gunpoint. Scary!
5. She previously won Miss Varsity Cup 2015 and was a Top 5 finalist in Miss Teen South Africa in 2010.
6. Throwback! Demi-Leigh was the first girl in her high school to be appointed head of two different leadership positions, and was also Deputy Junior Mayor of the George City Council in the 11th grade.
7. She is the second Miss Universe winner from South Africa since Miss Universe 1978 Margaret Gardiner!
8. In addition to pageantry, Demi-Leigh is signed under two South African agencies: Boss Models in Joburg and Vision Management in Cape Town.
9. Yay for furry friends! She's got two Yorkies named Benji and Baxter.
10. Her favorite comfort food? Oxtail in a red wine reduction served with samp (a South African delicacy made of chopped dried corn kernels).