Photographed by @gabbycantero
Laureen Uy swears by soaked chia seeds for breakfast - she says it's a good diet food that still gives her enough energy for the gym. For Valentine's Day, we thought we'd add a twist: chocolate hazelnut milk. Think soy milk, but toastier, and with a chocolatey finish - perfect for serving your mate a sexy breakfast in bed. That is, if he's just as into weight-watching as you are.
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Milk (from Healthy Options)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
A pinch of salt
For the fruit topping:
half a banana
1/2 teaspoon muscovado sugar
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Mix chia, chocolate hazelnut milk & vanilla extract in a jar and mix well.
2. Cover and refrigerate overnight or an hour before.
3. When ready to serve, transfer chia pudding into a glass or bowl and mix in 1/2 tsp sugar & salt.
4. Top with fruits.
To make the fruit topping:
1. Chop strawberries and bananas into bite sized pieces. (I usually slice them into cubes.)
2. In a bowl, mix together the strawberries, bananas & muscovado sugar.
3. Let it marinate for a good 10 minutes.
Note: If you can't find chocolate hazelnut milk, you can use almond milk and add in 1/2 teaspoon of cacao powder.
Gabby Cantero is a professional food photographer from Manila - and a pretty good home cook.