When I asked Jude Hipolito (one half of the masterminds behind JuRo Salon Exclusif) what the big deal with precision cutting was, he laughed. "That's the most abused phrase in the industry. Everyone claims to be a precision cutter!" he said with a slight chuckle. "There's a certain way of cutting hair: You look at the angles, the shapes, the elevation—it's all so precise. But, to me, haircutting is more than just precision."
If that sounded technical, well, it is. Trained at the Vidal Sassoon Academy, the cosmetology graduate fulfilled an intense 1600-hour training process, including learning everything under the cosmetology umbrella, like makeup, mani/pedis and facials. "But you go to Sassoon for hair," he shares. "Only a handful of cutters from the Philippines graduated from Vidal Sassoon. We're [educated] by the best of the best so we can go to the next level." And his caliber of work is definitely on another level.
WHY YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO PRECISION CUTTING
1. The hairdresser considers hair texture, head shape, and face shape to frame your features every single time.
2. It's a bespoke haircut; it'll be created just for you and won't be replicated on anyone else.
3. Trendy haircuts are reworked to match you perfectly, so no matter what peg you have, you'll always have something that has been modified to fit your face.
4. Fans can be found in those averse to change. It's a consistent way of cutting, that way your signature style can be replicated visit after visit.
5. A precision haircut always grows out gracefully.
According to Jude, these Sassoon-approved signature styles are always au courant, no matter the season.
2. Pixie Cut
*This article was originally published in Preview Magazine's September 2014 issue.