1. First, make sure your eyelash curler is dry and clean (you can use makeup remover or alcohol to remove residue). As with scissors, hold it in the hand you write with and open it out to a wide position.
2. Move the curler closer to the eye until the tool comes to the base of the lashes, but not over the skin of the eyelid.
3. Keep the eye open and slowly close the curler. Your eyelashes should fan out evenly across the upper bar. If at any time you feel pinching on your skin, readjust the curler.
4. Keeping your hand and face firm and stable, hold the curler closed in its position for about five seconds.
5. Make sure the curler is fully open before removing it from your lashes.
Reprinted from Preview June 2010 as told to Agoo Bengzon.
Click on the photo gallery to see our pick of the lash curlers in the market today.