There’s no doubt that pixie hair remains to be the definitive “cool girl” hairstyle—a cropped cut that exudes confidence and effortless style at the same time as proven by timeless icons such as Twiggy and Audrey Hepburn. Granted, long hair will always have its appeal, but there’s just something about a pixie cut that calls attention. Not to mention it’s also comfortable and convenient, suited for a tropical climate and allows for a wash-and-go routine that's especially ideal for the busy gal. While it may seem like you can’t do much with a short ‘do, we’re here to convince you otherwise!
We’ve rounded up a list of different ways you can style pixie hair. Feel free to save them for your next hairspo! And if you haven’t gotten the chop already, who knows, you might just be convinced to!
How to Style Pixie Hair:
1. Layers aren't just for long hair; they can also be used to make short haircuts more interesting. Choppy layers add texture and depth to a pixie cut, and soft layers like the style below give the illusion of added volume without being too edgy. Note: Blunt edges also give it a softer, more relaxed vibe.
2. This spiky, piecey take below on the pixie hair is the embodiment of the cool girl look. Notice how the asymmetrical and wispy side bangs subtly frame the face while giving the look an edgy feel.
3. Who says pixie cuts can’t be elegant? Charlize Theron demonstrates otherwise in this clean, sleek ‘do neatly swept on one side and lightly coiffed at the top. To create a slight lift in your roots while maintaining its neat style, use some pomade!
4. Kristen Stewart channels some seriously cool vibes with her take on the pixie hair as a variation of a stylish undercut. If you’re blessed with an oval or long face shape and aren’t afraid to take risks, this look can merit some serious style points. Keep the top portion of your head long enough so you can freely style your locks to your heart’s desire like K-Stew below!
5. Think short hair can’t look sweet? Think again! For a cropped hairstyle without the edge, keep the look soft with bold, side-swept bangs. A long fringe that sweeps the brow and locks that just slightly graze the nape exude a more romantic and feminine vibe while framing the face at the same time.
6. Pixie hairstyles can really turn up the glam when given a retro feel. Case in point: Bella Hadid, who’s channeling some serious silver screen siren vibes during the 2019 Met Gala in this ultra-slick, deep-parted hairstyle, without a single stray strand that’s out of place. We’re definitely getting a mix of Elizabeth Taylor and Twiggy from this style.
7. Pixie hair and baby bangs? Two words: chic and timeless. Young actress Joey King takes this iconic Audrey Hepburn ‘do for a spin with a modern update. A shaggier crop keeps the style interesting and low-maintenance while looking ever so stylish.
8. Asymmetrical cuts balance face shapes and guarantee some head-turning action to match each fashion moment. Emilia Clarke’s volumized, side-swept cut showcases piecey strands and wispy locks that also draw attention to her features. This look is best paired with a dress or a power suit combo.
9. Here’s another cute take on the pixie cut: This style showcases eyebrow-grazing bangs, with a slightly longer tail at the back that just reaches the nape. This hairstyle naturally suits gals with wavy hair types! Its curls soften the look and give it a feminine touch.
10. Blessed with naturally thick hair? Play up your mane’s natural volume! A deep side part and bold, heavy side bangs allow the face to be framed on both sides, making this look suitable for those with round face shapes.
11. For a textured hairstyle that’s fashion girl-approved, get sharp, long bangs that fall to the front while giving them softer, blunter ends like Katy Perry. Contrasting colors like the platinum hue atop her natural black color introduce more depth and dimension to the style.