Photographed by Gabby Cantero (@gabbycantero)
Lola vibes getting you down? Our Jamba Juice-inspired oats recipe will ensure that you never have to leave your bed. Make it on Friday night, doze off with your patterned socks on, and wake up to a bowl that's cold and chewy—trust us, it's even better than eating it warm.
1 cup steel cut oatmeal (from Healthy Options)
3 cups water
a pinch of salt
half a banana
1/2 teaspoon muscovado sugar
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 cheek mango, sliced into squares (optional)
3 tablespoons full cream milk
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Dump the oats and water in a saucepan. Make sure you start off with a rolling boil.
2. Lower the heat after a minute and cook for 20 minutes, or until softened. Expect to still have a bit of chew, because unlike rolled oats, it doesn't go through a steam-roller. It's just chopped into chunks.
3. Transfer to a bowl and store overnight in the fridge. Marathon Gossip Girl, read your backlog of Preview, dream of Paris, what have you.*
4. Chop up the banana and arrange it, with or without the mango, on top of the oats.
5. Pour the milk in, and sprinkle with the two kinds of sugar to give it a good crunch.
*P.S. If you can't wait all night, warm is good, too.