New generation foundation? We’ve always known to reach for a cream plus powder combination when looking for some solid coverage. But with the new breed of fluid foundations dominating makeup counters, we’re wondering: what’s the deal?
1. The texture is runnier than a normal foundation, that’s why it has to be pumped out of a dropper. The thin formula makes it easier to blend out and adhere to your skin, creating a second layer of skin.
2. It’s WEIGHTLESS. That mask-like feeling when you wear foundation? Forget it. Or what about that heavy feeling of a full face? It’s gone!
3. Pigments are concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Start with one drop at a time because the pigments in the foundation spread out really thin when you start blending so really take your time with this step.
4. Prep is important, so make sure there aren’t any dry patches that the foundation can cling to.
5. Shake well before every use. Always.
See some of our top picks below:
With a whopping SPF 40, this foundation helps prevent future damage while repairing existing skin woes.
Intensive Skin Serum Foundation SPF 40, P3500, BOBBI BROWN
As the name might suggest, this foundation is weightless and doesn’t cake up when you build it up in layers.
Waterweight SPF 30 Foundation, P2200, MAC Studio
Nude is exactly what you feel when you wear this foundation. Glowy and natural are the key words here.
Nude Air Serum, P3400, DIOR
For no-makeup makeup days, a few drops of this should do the trick. Silky smooth while leaving a semi-matte finish, it addresses quite a few skin concerns (like wrinkles and dull skin), as well.
No Foundation Foundation Serum, P2750, PERRICONE MD
Want the best from a fluid foundation? Get one that moisturizes, too (like this one), so blending becomes a breeze.
Teint Infusion Foundation, P1135, SEPHORA