Our newly crowned Miss International-Philippines 2017 is not afraid to speak her mind, and we absolutely love her for it! Mariel de Leon, daughter of veteran actors Christopher de Leon and Sandy Andolong, is exactly the kind of beauty queen our nation deserves—beautiful, intellectual, and outspoken for all the right reasons.
We can’t wait for her to make us even prouder as our country’s official candidate in the upcoming Miss International pageant. For now, here are 10 fun facts you need to know about her, as told by Mariel herself!
1. “I love watching horror movies, but never alone! I like the thrill it gives me and the fun I have with friends or family when we all watch it together.”
2. “If I'm not all dressed up in high heels for Binibining Pilipinas, I just love wearing a simple dress or shorts and a top with flats or sneakers.”
3 “I am a dog lover! I have three dogs at home. If I could have more, I definitely would. It always breaks my heart to see dogs on the streets.”
4. “I love listening to classical music. It's an experience for me. It relaxes me but at the same time it kind of detaches me a bit from reality.”
5. “I am mostly a home body. I just like staying at home with my family and my dogs rather than going out [to go clubbing or] dancing.”
6. “I'm part of a family full of artists. We have musicians, actors, painters, singers, and animators. We're all eccentric in our own way.”
7. “My family and I love watching movies in the cinema. And it always has to be the last full show! Sometimes, I watch a movie in the cinema twice if I really liked it.”
8. “I love anything vintage and classic. I take a lot of inspiration from icons like Brigitte Bardot, Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth Taylor.”
9. “I've never been to Europe but I love European architecture. It's a dream of mine to travel around Europe just to admire the buildings, statues, museums, etc.”
10. “I am a makeup lover. If there's one thing a spend a lot on, it's makeup! I also would love to make my own makeup tutorials in the future.”