It's easy to be overwhelmed by the idea of adapting a Korean skin care routine—we picture a shelf brimming with bottles of products that promise to make our skin whiter and shinier. Well, we can't blame you. We always see K-pop idols and K-drama actresses flaunting their pearly white, almost glossy complexions, which makes us think their skin care will turn our skin porcelain-like, too.
FYI, you don't need to think that way. You can still embrace your golden Pinay skin while pampering yourself with Korean skin care finds. You see, the reason why their skin care products mostly offer hydrating and brightening benefits is because South Korea's climate is almost always freezing—their skin has an insane thirst for hydration. And don't confuse the term brightening with whitening. This simply indicates that the active ingredients are meant to switch on your inner glow.
So, if you're ready to take K-beauty seriously, you have to start by knowing the basics of Korean skin care. Charlotte Cho, the founder of SoKo Glam, a prime shopping destination for all things Korean beauty, discusses the key concepts you need to know so you can apply it to your daily routine.
First off, watch the video below:
To get you started, here are our product recommendations:
1. Do the first step of double-cleansing by using an oil-based cleanser to remove makeup and grime.
IMAGE Banila Co
Banila Co Clean It Zero Classic, P890, Glorietta
2. Follow it up with a foam cleanser to remove dirt and sweat.
IMAGE Tony Moly
Tony Moly The Black Tea London Foam Cleanser, P728, SM Megamall
3. Feed your skin with nutrients and antioxidants that can promote cellular turnover—a major factor in keeping your skin's youthful glow.
COSRx Snail Mucin Power Essence, P1100, BeautyMNL
4. Firm up fine lines and sagging skin in an instant with a sheet mask.
Leaders Insolution Wrinkle-Tox Skin Clinic Mask, P178, BeautyMNL
5. Lock in the hydration and strengthen the skin's barrier against harmful elements with a moisturizer that has the proper oil-water balance ratio.
Dear Klairs Rich Moist Soothing Cream, P1212, Althea
*This story originally appeared on Femalenetwork.com. Minor edits have been made by the Preview.ph editors.